Wednesday, August 27, 2008

End of summer fun with Grand Funk Railroad

If the splendid yet sometimes awkward transformation from 1960's acid soaked rock into the hard rock/heavy metal sound of the early 1970's could be trapped in a bottle and unfairly condensed into an easy-to-digest 1 album summary, I think Grand Funk Railroad's On Time would suffice nicely. This grainy footage from a live show in 1969/1970 exemplifies just how perplexed the audience was at the time, unsure of how to react (it's quite funny, actually...see about 0:46 into the clip below) to Grand Funk's thumping basslines, sped up tempo, and bluesy riffage.

As many around me are sure to know, Grand Funk has been a large part of my personal summertime playlist. A live version of the track 'Are You Ready?' from the aforementioned On Time LP is posted below. Throw your misconceptions out the window and open your mind. It'll pay off in the end, trust me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! I'm making my blog invitation only. You're invited! email misteranono@that gthing...