Saturday, August 9, 2008

Big Black - Kerosene



"I was born in this town. Lived here my whole life. Probably come to die in this town. Lived here my whole life."

While I would argue that these lyrics are almost too relative for most, the sheer 'I don't give a fuck' nature of Albini's prose, combined with the maniacal-yet-mechanical nature of the song itself cannot be challenged. Many would agree that the concept of suburban hostility is somewhat cliche in the grand scheme of all things 'punk', but I dare say that Big Black set the bar rather high with this specific track off of 1986's Atomizer.

This song encapsulates an anger and frustration that many punk and/or hardcore songwriters wish they could obtain. Albini's distinct ability to bottle up frustration, anger, and cynicism is ever present and unparalleled. Even funnier, people still try to pull this shtick off when they can simply put on the A side of Atomizer and cease dabbling with inferior imitations.

Check it out for yourself and make your own decision:

http://sharebee.com/08dc1cc1

No comments: